Supported by Arbeiter Samariter Bund (ASB) and Aktion Deutschland Hilft (ADH), this project is the second phase of the project Strengthening Inclusive Community Participation in Disaster Preparedness and Response conducted from 2015 to October 2016. The project covered 12 barangay communities in Catbalogan and Calbayog Samar.
The project was conducted with the following key components:
Component 1: Community-based workshops on Disability Inclusive Community-based Disaster Risk Reduction and Management in the 12 barangays. These community-based workshops were led and managed by trainers and facilitators trained during the first phase of the project that include representatives from the following:
- Organization of persons with disability in Calbayog and Catbalogan;
- Local government units of Calbayog and Catbalogan in Samar through the office of the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO), City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO) and City Health Office (CHO);
- Local civil society organizations that include representatives from Elderly, Women and Youth
Barangays covered are the following:
- Barangay Begaho, Calbayog
- Barangay Binaliw, Calbayog
- Barangay Oquendo Poblacion, Calbayog
- Barangay Tinambacan Sur, Calbayog
- Barangay Tinambacan Norte, Calbayog
- Barangay Obrero, Calbayog
- Barangay Dagum, Calbayog
- Barangay Lagundi, Catbalogan
- Barangay Darahuway Guti, Catbalogan
- Barangay Darahuway Daco, Catbalogan
- Barangay San Andres, Catbalogan
- Barangay San Roque, Catbalogan
- Barangay Pangdan, Catbalogan
Community-based workshops and activities include the following:
- Awareness raising and training of barangay officials and community members that include persons with disability, elderly and women on Disability Inclusive CBDRRM;
- Mapping of persons with disability in the 12 barangays conducted by persons with disability
- Completion of hazard maps in the barangays that include information on persons with disability;
- Development of their early warning systems and completion of the contingency plan and formation of their Barangay Disaster Risk Reduction Committees (BDRRMC) with the inclusion and representation of persons with disability, women and elderly
Component 2: Advance training activities to the graduates of the TOT in the first phase. This component provided advanced training activities to the graduates of the TOT in the first phase of their continuing training to further enhance their capacities as trainers and facilitators on Inclusive DRRM. These trainers and facilitators were organized to multidisciplinary and multi-sectoral teams that organized and facilitated the community-based workshops in the 12 barangays.
The advance TOT also focused on the enhancement of facilitation and presentation skills of persons with disability who were part of the TOT in the first phase. This resulted in trained facilitators from persons with disability to assume roles as presenters and facilitators of specific topics like Climate Change, National Disaster Situation, Disability Inclusion in CBDRRM during the barangay-based workshops on CBDRRM.
Component 3: Capacity development of organizations of persons with disability in Calbayog and Catbalogan. These are series of training in the area of organizational development, leadership and management, participation in governance and advocacy with the aim of increasing the collective capacity of persons with disability to engage and participate in DRR structures and planning processes.
The series of training resulted in the enhancement and re-structuring of the organization of the two city federation of persons with that include:
- Review and revision of the vision and mission and organizational structures of the DPO federation in Calbayog and Catbalogan
- Facilitated formulation of their organizational by-laws and policies including basic financial policies
- Facilitated the general assembly of persons with disability and election of new officers of the district level organization and city level federation of persons with disability in Calbayog
- Formulation of plans to formalize and register their organization
The training also resulted in facilitating the federations of persons with disability in Calbayog and Catbalogan in taking the lead in the planning and implementing their activities during the 39th National Disability Awareness and Prevention month in July 2017.
This component also developed the basic data gathering and research skills of participating persons with disabilities. This resulted to the initial development of a database of persons with disability by the two federations. The identification and mapping of persons with disability were conducted by persons with disability who were trained in the program.
The data gathering included the Washington Group of Questions. The result of the data gathering provided information on the needs and limitations of persons with disability during emergencies and this was included in the result of the community risk assessment of the covered barangays.
Component 4: Development of information and education and communication materials on disaster preparedness and response:
The development of materials involved the active participation of the participants of the program particular persons with disability and representatives from the following institutions:
- School for the Deaf of the Christ the King College in Calbayog for the development of materials for the deaf;
- Special Education of the Department of Education (SPED) in Catbalogan
- Samar State University (SSU)
The following materials were developed and produced and are available in English and Waray:
- Local adaptation in “Waray” of disaster animated video entitled “Minas Village Weathers the Storm” –an existing animated video on disaster preparedness that was adapted by PILCD in Filipino.
- Video-based information and instructional materials on: Disaster Situation; Disability Inclusion in DRR; CBDRRM process and hazards.